Welcome to the life of an alto player in a treble/bass world!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Life the Last Month or So.

I've been kind of busy the last couple of weeks, so now hopefully I'll get a grip on blogging:) So as I'm sitting here watching Indiana Jones, The Last Crusade, ("Everybody's lost but me!") I'll tell you what I've been up too.

September 10.
My sister and I had a busy, musical day. During our 10 minute break at our Mozart Requiem for 9/11 dress rehearsal I went and talked to our quartet 1st violinist , Miss J. for the wedding we were playing at later that day, for directions to the ceremony location, and order of the songs we were playing. After talking to Miss. J, I called my Mom to give her the directions to the hotel.
"Hi Mom, it's me. I just talked to Miss J, and it's a Sheraton Hotel on the I-17 right across from the Castles and Coasters. Oh, and I need you to come in when you come pick us up, so you can sign the photo release form so I can perform tomorrow."

"Um, okay. So we just got some big news..."
Just then, my orchestra conductor starts announcing something about something, so I start listening to him. And as I'm listening to him, (I'm still on the phone) I hear Mom, "So, were moving to condo. In three weeks."

"Sorry Mom, what'd you say?"

"Uh, were moving to the condo in three weeks. Someone just stopped by the house and they want to move in on October 1st."

"Um, Uh, okay, well we'll talk later, we have to start rehearsing again."

"Okay, love you, Bye."

"Bye."

So then after I got off the phone I kind of forgot that my Mom had said we were moving. As soon as dress rehearsal was over I jumped into 'playing at a wedding for the first time with little information about what was really going on stress' mode. Mom got there, Miss J, Marcie, one of the two most awesomest, coolest cello players, and my sister all jumped in the car, and headed toward the hotel.

We finally got there, went inside, found out it wasn't the right hotel, it was at a different one, across the freeway, we went to that one, got there, we asked the wedding coordinator where she wanted us to start playing, and she was like, "Um, well, I guess you could just set up here, next to the aisle, and use those outdoor picnic chairs..." (It was an outdoor wedding) And we told her, "Uh, no we can't use chairs with arms." She said, "Oh, okay, we'll get you some banquet chairs then." Marcie's poor mom was there with us, and she asked the lady, "There not folding chairs right?" (Cello players can't use folding chairs, or they will collapse, because cello players have to sit on the very edge of chair.) She answered, "no, there banquet chairs." And I'm thinking, "really?"

So we finally were able to start playing our beautiful, but oh so fun pieces while guests were being seated. I only had two pages during "All I Ask of You" and "Unchained Melody" blow away while I was playing, and I never really realized before, but I'm pretty good at making up things while playing. Of course, afterwards, I'm thinking, "I've got 20 pounds of bobby pins in my hair, surely I could have spared one and and used it to clip my music to the stand" Anyway, I know for next time. Then we got to play the most awesome Kanon (yes, it really is Kanon, and not Canon) in D. Then the Bridal March. "Just something to let all you brides know. It's really hard to play with you, while your cantering down the aisle, and then slowing way down to a slower than a turtle's pace. Just thought I'd let you know."

So now I'm done complaining about unprepared people, including myself, and on to the next day's concerts.

September 11-
10 years ago today, I was 5 years old. I was in Montana on vacation with my Dad's family. I remember waking up and everyone was crying and a little on the grumpy side. They sat in front of the news all. day. long. That's all I remember. My Dad said that they told me what happened, but I didn't really understand. Then, at about 6pm, i went and stood in front of the TV, and said, "Can't we turn this off and do something!!" In an annoyed voice. We all went for a long walk after that. I don't remember any of that either. I just remember, it wasn't a good day.

So back to 2011. Went and played our first Mozart Requiem performance in Glendale at 1pm. Went very well. With the firefighter honor guard, and the bagpipes playing Amazing Grace and America the Beautiful, it was truly something I'm glad I was part of.

I absolutely love pulling off my concert black pumps, and putting on my pink converse, right after the concert is over, and running around in my black, floor length concert dress. And pink converse. Mr. Beam laughs at me:-)

After that concert, Mom drove my sister and I out to Scottsdale. We went to a Coco's for dinner, and then just beat the huge dust storm rolling in to our next concert location. Got there for the orchestra call, and then went and hung out in the official, "orchestra hanging out/goofing around" room. Then we got to preform again. And it was just as much fun as the first one. My Dad's family and a church family came to this one. Afterwards my 10 yo. brother comes up to me, and says. "Hey Lauren, I want to play bagpipes." I'm thinking, "You already play piano and trombone, you want to play bagpipes? Okay, well. That will sound wonderful. A beginner bagpipe player" :)

Then over the next couple of weeks, we started packing packing packing! The last week before we moved my sister and I got rid of our trundle bed, (we were planning on getting a bunk bed for our new room at our condo) so we slept on air mattresses. We were also supposed to start studying again during one of these weeks, but we got kinda busy. So that didn't happen. (Gotta love home education!)

Okay, I'm getting a little tired, so I will continue this tomorrow.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment